Send us unpublished fiction or flash fiction, not reprints, up to 3,000 words. Simultaneous submissions are fine. Do not send multiple submissions. We request that submitters wait 1 month after receiving a response before submitting a new piece to help us avoid back-ups in the queue.
Please double space your submission. Use an unobtrusive font so we can focus on your story and not how difficult it is to read.
Here are 10 things we've noticed about our broad aesthetic tendencies over the years:
- We're often fans of the absurd, the off-kilter, and the darkly comic.
- We tend to fall for beautiful language or an unexpected phrase.
- We're interested in how a story gets told.
- We prefer stories that are stories, not static moments or a character's memories lacking broader context.
- We're open to reading the slyly speculative, the strange, the uncanny, and the weird.
- We love when stories take a risk.
- We rarely find body part humor all that funny.
- We publish fiction; please don't send us poems. We aren't qualified for those.
- We find that stories dependent upon very particular pop culture references sail right over our heads.
- We especially encourage marginalized and traditionally underrepresented writers to submit, though your piece does not have to encompass those themes.
We will gladly consider new translations of stories not widely available in English, with all rights the responsibility of the translator — to submit translations please email firstname.lastname@example.org.